Friday, February 2, 2018

Misconceptions On Going Vegan.

"Rest assured that there are tons of proteins in vegetarian products that are much better for your health because vegetarian products are not filled with the cholesterol that animal protein is filled with." --Georges Laraque of National Hockey League. "I have never felt better or so healthy in my life."

OK, so far we have got a tennis champion (Serena Williams), two NFL stars (Tony Gonzales & Ricky Williams) and a NHL tough guy (Georges Laraque), all saying that a vegan diet, far from hurting them, has actually improved their strength, endurance, and ability to compete in profession sports. Still not convinced> Well, check out what mixed-martial-arts champion Mac Danzig has to say about going vegan, Because they do not come much tougher than MMA fighters.

http://www.mmafightgirls.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/mac-danzig-vegan.jpg

"When I decided to go vegan, I was able to make (weight) much easier, and I have not lost an ounce of muscle," Danzig says in the excellent documentary Forks Over Knives. "I am leaner than I used to be, and I have much more energy than I used to."

Image result

Click here to watch this documentary.
Researchers explore the possibility that people changing their diets from animal-based to plant-based can help eliminate or control diseases like cancer and diabetes. "I’m sure there is much to be learned from Forks Over Knives (the title means a healthy diet should be consumed with a fork rather than diverging from this path, which could lead to the knife or scalpel)."



Initial release: May 6, 2011 (USA)


Director: Lee Fulkerson


Screenplay: Lee Fulkerson


Distributed by: Virgil Films and Entertainment


Producers: Brian Wendel, John Corry

In an interview with the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Danzig explains that while he loves the extra energy being a vegan bring him in the ring, his decision to give up animal products was not just about improved performance:

"At the very beginning for me it was moral and ethical. In this day  and age, buying animal and dairy products causes way more suffering and harm than it does good. Don't get me wrong, yes, I love animals ...but if we were in a different day and age, like 100 or 200 years ago, then, sure, I would do whatever I had to do to live. If I had to be a hunter-gatherer then I would. I might feel bad about it, but I would respect the animals that I killed and I would eat meat. But things are different. We don't live in that day and age anymore. Today you have processed meats and a lot of animals suffering unnecessarily for it. Now, some people just blow that off and don't have a conscience about it or they just don't care. They wouldn't eat their dog but they feel that way about other animals. But for me, I just decided to stop eating meat. I didn't want to contribute to all of that. I'm not trying to change the world or wear that on my sleeve or make a political statement, because that just turns people away. I only have control over one person and that's myself. And I feel good about it."

Danzing's story is a powerful reminder that physical strength and compassion are not mutually exclusive. That it is possible to excel in a sport as physically demanding as mixed martial arts without sacrificing either your strength or your integrity. Today , people like Danzing might still be considerd outliers. But I am confident that in the not0too-distant future more and more athletes will follow his lead. No wonder the UFC, the epicenter of America's tough-guy culture, calls Danzing, "a pioneer who was ahead of the times."

 
 

No comments: